Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Everyday Life

As we have been here for over a month now, our life is starting to fall into place and get pretty exciting! This weekend we decided to take a spontaneous trip to Vienna, Austria. Next weekend we will head to Berlin, Germany and then two weeks after that we are renting a car and traveling to Ljubljana, Slovenia with 3 other friends! We are so excited to begin traveling and see all the amazing sights that Europe has to offer. Speaking of Europe.... I did a lesson with my students today about our world and where we live. I said, "Here is where we live, we live in Europe." I instantly stopped and had to think about that for a second. That was the first time that it truly registered in my head that I actually LIVE in Europe. Everything has continued to be better than I had imagined before coming here. Its fascinating to me to walk home from work and see all these buildings that have been here for long. It almost doesn't seem real.

I will say that since I have arrived their are a few minor things that I will say I dislike. That first is grocery shopping! I HATE it! It takes so much effort to go on a short trip to the store because I can't read anything, so I have to translate everything and their supermarkets are much smaller than the US. They typically only have one option for each item and they only have about 5 small aisles worth of food. The liquor section of the grocery store is just as big as the food section...which goes to show their diets;) The best way for me to describe it would for you to imagine the market section of a Target and not a Super Target just a regular Target with a small grocery section, that is what their supermarkets are like. It is taking a lot of getting used to. The second thing that I find annoying is after you go out to eat and you get that feeling that you are so stuffed that you can't even move, you typically will just go to your car and drive home. Well here you have to walk home... so you don't get the chance to just be lazy you are forced to get up and walk it off. I really shouldn't be complaining about it because it is actually a good thing but I still find it a bit annoying!

Stay tuned for lots of pictures and information from our trip to Vienna. I will try to upload photos as soon as possible! Also for those of you that want to follow along with the blog feel free to put your email address in the box underneath our picture on the right hand side. By doing that you will get an email every time we update the blog and you don't have to keep checking if we have put up a new post.

Cheers!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment